Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Fight the power, (soul power!)"

Sometimes, all you really want is mac & cheeze. There's no way around it, and nothing else can satisfy a mac & cheeze craving but simply mac & cheeze. So what's a pregnant hormone infested girl to do? Well, make some damn mac & cheeze before someone loses an eye!

Photobucket
Macadamia mac & cheese with roasted Brussels sprouts and BBQ tempeh.

I made this mac using blended macadamia nuts. I bought a big bag of roasted macadamias a while back that I never got around to eating as is, so i decided to turn them into a nut cheeze. It turned out really well! As usual I was too lazy to weigh out all the proportions, so I don't have a receipe for how I did it. I can tell you however that I used:

nutritional yeast, nuts, garlic, cumin, salt, turmeric and amaranth/brown rice milk for the sauce. I blended it in my food processor until it was a super creamy consistency- this took about 12 minutes.

I cooked up some of the glorious collard greens my neighbor brought me and folded them into the sauce. The noodles I used were brown rice noodles- and I topped it with a mixture of bread crumbs, basil, salt, pepper and fresh crushed garlic. What would of made it perfect was a tad bit of crushed red pepper flake, *note to self*. I then baked it at 425 for 17 minutes.

Photobucket Bell's Two hearted pale ale battered onion rings (served with veggie burrito's Nicole style)

(recipe for beer batter taken from Vegan appetite) http://www.veganappetite.com/

1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 large onion (sweet)
1 cup flour (divided use)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
few grinds of pepper
3/4 cup beer
oil for frying

Combine the milk with the apple cider vinegar. Stir together and set aside.

Peel the onion and slice into rings about 1/2 an inch wide. Separate them and add to the milk/acv mixture. Let sit for an hour or so, stirring them every so often so they all get a dip in the liquid.

Heat your oil to about 350 degrees using whatever you normally use to fry. Even though you don't normally fry foods, of course.

Combine 1/2 cup flour, salt, pepper and the garlic powder in a pie plate. Then combine the beer with the remaining 1/2 cup flour in another pie plate.

Take the rings, one at a time, and dip them in the dry flour mixture, then in the beer/flour mixture. Drop in the oil and fry until golden. Drain on a brown bag then serve those golden rings of o's.

Photobucket Homemade veggie chili & fresh pressed corn tortillas always hits the spot

And here is a crazy creation I came up with on the way home from yoga, very hungry indeed!
Photobucket Tempeh latkes!

These turned out so well, I will be making them again and writing down a recipe to share. I just shredded potatoes into a bowl, added crumbled tempeh, mustard powder, garlic, fresh chives, salt and pepper. I bound them together with a small amount of tortilla flour and just fried them. They were so good, our friend that was over the day we made them actually came over the next day and asked if we had any left from yesterday because he couldn't stop thinking about them. LOL.

3 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

I can't believe you made all of this for one meal! I do one thing and I'm wiped.

Anyway, the whole macadamia mac and cheese thing is totally fascinating! It makes me want to experiment.

Or to ask you to come cook for me, whatev.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Hot damn that is some good looking food! I don't even know where to start....maybe that delicious mac and cheese. That looks intense.

Oh, and your eggs in a basket in the previous post is pure genius! I love the way you cook, a lady after my own tastebuds!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Thank you so much! I am beyond excited.

OMG That soul food looks off the chain. I'm hardcore craving mac n cheese now :)