Thursday, January 22, 2009

Detroit; love to hate it, hate to love it.

I went out to eat with my family tonight, but I figured I'd at least tell you about this awesome soup I made not so long ago




First I chopped up an onion, and caramelized it in a pan with some olive oil. Then I filled the pot with water, a little less than 3/4s full. Brought it to a boil, then added vegan chicken stock (better than bouillon is awesome!) I added a generous amount of red split lentils. then threw in some cumin, gram masala, raw curry powder, mustard powder, cumin seeds and salt. I let it cook for about less than 2 hours. Then I added shredded unsweetened coconut, a can of coconut milk, poppy seeds and a can of tomato paste. I then continued to cook it for another hour. At the very end I add a very small amout of agave necter to enhance the flavor.

Bon voyage, and safe dreams to you and yours tonight. Hopefully tomorrow old faithful will be right where I left her...in the snow on the street.

5 comments:

Jen said...

that soup looks interesting, but sounds good. is d-town getting sketchy again? i thought it had become safe for a while after urban sprawl, or am i just delusional?

Mish said...

I love Detroit! Most people aren't fortunate enough to get notes. That def says something beautiful about your hood and the peeps in it.

Damn that soup looks real good! I think I'll make it sometime this week. The Sprout House rulez! I rely on them for my healthcare;)

Rico said...

I really like the name Vegan slaughterhouse, let's kill some veg.
Well I am a meat eater, but latley more and more I find myself eating vegetarian even vegan foods...as I find these very interesting and way more thought planing the dishes...in fact I even have some foods in my blog that are vegan or vegetarian.
This soup looks amazing and I would not mind having one or two bowls full..Thx 4 sharing also for becoming my Foodbuzz friend..Cheers!!

Tami said...

This soup sounds so good!

Anonymous said...

Getting a topaz ring as links london jewellery jewelry gifts from better-half is no lower than an awesome joy. discount links of london bracelets Many ladies do admire such jewelry sparkling through charms links of london their fingers. If you may get to own one as gift, links of london silver watches you will definitely appreciate such beauty and elegance for high class cheap links of london necklaces type of jewelry. Those who know what the actual worth of gemstones will links london pendants certainly love to have one added into their collection.